Featured blogger Feathers



http://stephthebird.blogspot.com/
How do you get your inspiration for the outfits you wear?
My inspiration comes from my wardrobe. All my outfits are based on me staring into my closet and going with some sort of of gut feeling that pulls me towards a particular item. That gut feeling could be the result of weather, my mood, my time frame, or a blog I have been on a lot lately…it’s always changing. I don’t set out most days with a fully-formed outfit idea. I start with one piece, and I build around it. I try to see a new way of wearing something I’ve had forever, or think of tricks to repeat something new I particularly love and want to wear over and over without looking the same.









Who has had the biggest fashion influence on your outfits?
The influences on my style change all the time, though a recurring goal I have is to avoid jeans and t-shirts as much as possible, since wearing them makes me look like a teenager! I am an adult, and want to be seen and respected, while still being willing to take risks and chances beyond my normal comfort zone. In  a way, my biggest influence is myself as a child, when I wore crazy stuff all the time because I was just comfortable being myself. I lost that confidence for awhile as a teenager, and I am slowly returning to the sense of anything goes that I used to have.




Aside from that, one of my more recent inspirations is the character Rory from the show Gilmore Girls. She was always dressed elegantly, and made a great transition from simpler high school clothes to more sophisticated college attire. And I would love to get my hands on her collection of “Friday night dinner” dresses! Most recently, I have been almost stalkerishly into The Clothes Horse. It’s one of the earliest style blogs I got into, and I have been working my way through all her archives. When I shop now, I find myself noticing things she would like, and dressing a bit more like her, even though I have never met her!




Would you consider yourself as style setter or trend follower?
I consider myself a trend follower, in the sense that when I see something new that I like, I am eager to try it for myself. But I am no slave to trends, and am careful to pick and choose what works for me. For the most part I dress for myself, and don’t mind if I’m not on trend. I don’t mind admitting that I am influenced by others a lot, but I think that’s healthy because I’m participating in the style conversation, interpreting ideas in a way unique to me. I am aware that some of what I wear won’t last for long in my wardrobe, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, since I buy most of my clothes secondhand or on major sale. I never buy or want anything based on being told it’s cool or trendy, and I disagree with mainstream fashion as often as I embrace it.


 Whats in your hosiery drawer?
I have to admit my hosiery collection isn’t huge…I just started building it up this year. I have been working a lot more skirts and dresses into my daily wardrobe, and dressing for work means I often add tights or leggings in order to cover up and look professional. So I have been turning to them as a result of necessity as much for style. But one of my most important purchases of hosiery, and perhaps the beginning of my love for them, came a couple of years ago. I had been watching old episodes of Gilmore Girls, and noticed Rory often paired patterned dresses and skirts with textured tights, and I wanted to try and replicate her look. I searched long and hard for the perfect pair, settled with some trepidation on a black pair with an intricate, almost fishnet-like pattern, and started wearing them with all my dresses. Since then I have been slowly adding to my collection with patterns, color, and texture of all kinds.






 Where do you buy your hosiery?
I purchase my hosiery from a variety of places. I’ve had good luck with JC Penny’s, actually. The tights I referred to above where from there, as well as a great pair of black sheer argyles. Most recently, I got a pair of green tights with a floral pattern worked into the weave from Charlotte Russe. I saw them a couple of weeks ago, but didn’t get them right away. When I was still thinking about them a week later, I went back and got them.


What legwear do you prefer?
I don’t really have a preference for a certain kind of legwear. With tights, I wear textured ones more that solids. I also wear leggings quite often. They work well with keeping very short skirts modest for work, and are generally comfortable. I always wear flats with leggings, but I like tights with high heels or flats. I’m actually anxious to try out some knee highs for fall. I’ve seen other bloggers layering them on top of tights, and I think it looks great!













Thanks to Steph, you can visit her blog here
http://stephthebird.blogspot.com/